Healthy Recipes for Truly Filling Salads
Then simply try these quick to prepare summer salads from the food blog, goodnessis.com. You can let your creative side run free, as the ingredients can easily be varied. It’s also really good fun preparing them with the family, because kids like to choose what goes into their salad – as long as they are still healthy recipes.
The Classic Caesar Salad
Try this healthy recipe for a classic salad, with a choice of two dressings.
- 5 cups green salad
- 1/3 cup parmesan shavings made with a potato peeler
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
- Slices of bread (about 6)
- Olive oil or clarified butter
Dressing 1 – Mayonnaise Dressing:
- 3 tbsp. of your favorite mayonnaise (as an exception!)
- 1 tsp. honey (diluted with hot water)
- 1 tsp. whole grain mustard
- Juice of half a freshly-squeezed lemon
- 2tbsp. flax oil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. tamari
- Water for the right consistency
Dressing 2 – Cashew Nut Dressing:
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds (roasted and ground)
- 3 tbsp. freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 3 tbsp. olive or flax oil
- 10 cashew nuts, soaked for two hours
- 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. water for the right consistency
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make the croutons: fry the bread in a pan with two tablespoons of rapeseed oil, until it is brown on both sides. Then put to one side. Wash the salad leaves thoroughly, and then tear the leaves into medium-sized pieces.
To prepare the dressings, simply blend all the ingredients together in a food processor until the mixture has an even consistency. The dressings should be creamy and slightly thickened. Finally, season with freshly-ground pepper.
Then put the salad in a large bowl, mix in the pine nuts, croutons and the dressing, and garnish with the parmesan shavings before serving.
Colorful Summer Salad
- 3 cups green leafy vegetables and edible flowers, at best from the garden (e.g. lettuce, young green cabbage, rocket salad, spinach, chard, beetroot leaves, mint, parsley or coriander)
- 1 carrot peeled with a potato peeler
- 1 diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 4 small garden courgettes, halved and cut lengthways into four slices
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp. honey (add a little hot water if necessary to make it more runny)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of a freshly-squeezed lemon
- Salt and pepper
Put the salad in a large bowl, toss with the dressing and enjoy!