How to eat right in cold season?
If our eating habits could prevent us from catching cold this winter, it would be great! Here are few ideas on how you can outsmart the cold or flu that you might otherwise catch this winter season.
Eat food rich in antioxidants:
- Fruits and vegetables for each meal (5 a day),
- Alternate the colors; this will enable you to get different vitamins
- Garlic, onions, and shallots: use these to season your dishes as often as you can
Strengthen your immune system by eating the following zinc-rich foods:
Seafood, veal liver, chicken, wheat germs, beef, lamb, spinach, nuts, grains…
And omega 3-rich foods
- Oily fish (salmon, herring, sardines, etc.) to eat twice a week
- Replace sunflower oil with olive oil (for salad dressings) and grapeseed oil (for cooking).
- If you are vegetarian you can treat flax seeds/flaxseed oil/chia seeds as a good omega 3 source.
To fight against the cold eat plenty of proteins:
- Eggs, fish, poultry, dairy and meat will bring you the protein you need. They will contribute to building up your immune system.
- Be careful with your choice of meat though. Some meats contain a lot of fat due to processing. Choose lean cuts of fresh, unprocessed meats when possible.
And the biggest secret is:
Physical activity is a great way to prevent infections! 30 min everyday keeps the flu away!
If you have any questions on your food choices this winter season, contact our professionals.
Holmes Place Geneva, Switzerland