How to Get the Perfect Abs - Fundamental Tips to Get you There
Straight to the core: learn how to target those abdominal muscles for a flat, toned stomach.
For a lot of people, having a flat stomach and rock hard abs seems a mere fantasy. No matter how hard they try, toning their abdominal muscles is the hardest part of getting the body image they want. But is it all down to the way they’re going about it?
Getting your abs in top shape needn’t be a struggle. Following a few simple exercise routines and making sure your diet is right are two efficient and effective ways to get the perfect abs. Here are a few top tips to get you on your way to getting rid of that belly fat and turning it into solid muscle.
If you're still undecided about your fitness goals here are some tips on how to select and achieve your goals.
Address your diet
Choosing the right dietary strategy is a key aspect of all muscle growth and will help you craft those solid abs you desire. You can’t just eat water-based veg and crunch your way to a flat stomach - you need a balanced diet to ensure you’re getting all the right vitamins, protein, fibre and antioxidants to maintain a healthy metabolism and allow you to build muscle mass around your waist.
The best foods to get into your abs diet are:
- Eggs - the perfect source of protein. Eggs have a great balance of amino acids, helping your body build muscle when working out. Plus, they’ll fill you up more in the morning so you won’t feel the need to snack on sugar.
- Leafy greens - thanks to their low-calorie count, eating leafy greens will certainly help reduce the fat around your midriff. The likes of spinach and broccoli are a good force of calcium too, helping you fuel your workouts.
- Salmon - an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon promotes fat burning, making your metabolism more efficient and is full of ab-friendly proteins. The fish can also help slow digestion and cut out any cravings for more food.
Here are the top 6 worst eating mistakes to avoid.
Get your routine right
Achieving washboard abs isn’t just about doing sit-up after sit-up. You need to practise a mixture of workout routines that not only work your abdominal muscles, but those around them to give you a solid core.
But don’t think you need to go out and buy loads of equipment. Here are some easy-to-follow exercises you can do anywhere:
Using a motion similar to riding a bicycle, this workout will get all the muscles around your abs working in tandem to strengthen your core.
- Lay on your back and lift your shoulders slightly up off the floor, placing your hands behind your ears.
- Lift both knees up toward your chest.
- Extend one leg out straight, keeping it off the floor, then bring your elbow toward the other knee that is at your chest.
- Hold momentarily, then repeat.
- Do 15 reps on each side.
This focuses solely on your ab muscles by applying pressure to your midriff and forcing it to hold your body weight.
- Sit straight-backed on the edge of a sturdy chair, then put your hands right on the edge with your fingers pointing toward your knees.
- Tighten your abs, raise your toes slightly inches off the floor and lift yourself up.
- Hold yourself in this position for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Lower yourself down and repeat this exercise for 1-2 minutes.
The classic ab workout. Planking is a proven way of strengthening your core muscles and getting those ripped abs you dream of. Best saved until the end of your routine.
- Get yourself into a full push-up position, putting your palms just behind your shoulders on the floor.
- Hold for 30 seconds, with your abs contracted.
- As you build strength, hold this position longer, up to one minute.
- Go deeper: Try the one-arm stable switching plank.
Now that your training is done time to make one of our post-workout DIY drinks.