Prepare Your Run
Here are some tips for getting started, developed with Holmes Place expert and running champion Maria Vasco:
- Start with a WARU (WAlk - RUn) technique. It is important not to set your goals too high too soon. Went it’s time to walk, walk at a speedy pace.
- Give yourself a boost with music. Choose your favourite songs and create a running playlist; you’ll feel the motivation immediately.
- Get comfortable. It is important to have adequate footwear; sports shoes with support will help you feel at ease.
- Select the best time of the day (preferably early morning or late afternoon to avoid the heat) and pick safe areas to run.
- Hydrate well before, during and after exercising, especially on warmer days.
- Rest. You shouldn’t overdo it too early on. Rest is necessary and will guarantee you reach your next training day full of strength and raring to go.
- Track and register all your training sessions in a diary. This will help you see your goals being accomplished and will keep you motivated.
There are numerous benefits associated with running, so it’s time to get started. Try Maria Vasco’s WARU programme and run for fun.