The power of posture: 3 exercises for instant sex appeal
Sometimes, it’s the simplest things that make us feel sexier. Confidence, eating well, de-stressing… and a great posture. Here at Holmes Place, we believe exercise should make you feel good and look good. One way to do that - which is often overlooked - is to improve your posture. A strong, balanced body works wonders on your not only your physical appearance - making you appear slimmer and sexier - but it makes you feel happier and prevents pain and injuries, too.
Stand tall, accentuate your best features and attract positive attention with these three exercises to help achieve the perfect posture:
Problem area 1:
If you’re chained to a desk all day, you’ll probably find yourself unknowingly slouched over the keyboard at some point. Not only does it give that undesirable hunched look, it can be a sign of a weak back, shoulders and core and can lead to a ‘hunchback’ posture known as kyphosis. Train your back muscles to bend backwards comfortably with this bridge exercise - practice it regularly to dump the hump for good:
- Start lying flat on the ground with the tops of your hands beside you, your knees bent and your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Push through your heels and exhale to raise your hips from the floor, keeping your back straight.
- Slowly inhale as you lower your hips and back to the starting position. This is one rep.
- Repeat for 2 sets of 12 reps.
Problem area 2:
The belly pooch. It’s a stubborn beast to get rid of, but there are exercises to help shred your stomach into a six-pack of wonders. While you’re on your journey to ab-heaven, adopting the right posture can help make the lower part of your tum stick out less. Strengthen your lower abdominals and improve your posture with this mighty leg lift exercise:
- Begin lying on your back with your palms on on the floor by your side.
- Embrace your core and lift your legs off the ground, keeping them straight and your knees locked. Exhale as you do this.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Inhale as you lower your legs to the starting position.
- Repeat for 2 sets of 10 reps.
Problem area 3:
We don’t always think of our head posture when working out, but a straight, lean neck can do wonders for your sex appeal. Long days looking at a laptop or mobile phone can cause your neck to slope forwards, so you need the appropriate exercise to bring it back into its beautiful shape. Practice this seated chest stretch throughout the week and watch it work its posture-shaping magic:
- Start seated on the floor with your knees bent in front of you and your feet flat.
- Place your hands behind you with your fingers facing forward and softly bend your elbows.
- Keeping your hips on the floor, draw your shoulder blades back and raise your upper chest.
- Pull your chin back towards your chest so that you feel a stretch below your collarbones.
- Hold for 30 seconds then release back to the starting position.
- Repeat for five reps.