9 Ways You Can Boost Your Self-Esteem
Symptoms of Low Self-Esteem
Frequent fear and anxiety are experienced by people who suffer from low self-esteem. There’s really nothing – absolutely nothing – that feels good about low self-esteem. Other symptoms include:
- These people experience panic attacks when they think they’ve made a bad decision that others will notice. They think needing help is an admission of inadequacy.
- Depression, feelings of devastation – These people are so afraid of making a bad decision they isolate themselves and refrain from new activities. They often remain in a destructive relationship for fear of being alone.
- Hopelessness about the future – They feel there are so many things they can’t do well, especially social skills and relationships that they refuse to try new things.
- Hypersensitivity – They feel that others are laughing at them, criticizing them or will take advantage of them.
- Lack of assertiveness – They are too afraid of upsetting others (and then being rejected) to tell the truth, ask for what their want, or share their feelings.
- Passivity leading to aggression – The need to tell the truth and assert their feelings builds to a point where they become aggressive-defensive, sarcastic, rude, or even violent.
- Obsessive-compulsive, workaholic, perfectionism, over-spending, alcohol, drugs and sex are the feel-goods people with low self-esteem may use. They will stay in a dead-end job rather than venture outside their comfort zone to seek other employment. “People who lack self-confidence are very needy,” says Marilyn Sorensen, Ph.D. “These are self-defeating behaviors that low self-esteem sufferers repeat over and over.”
Boost Your Self-Esteem
It’s never too late to learn how to appreciate yourself, value yourself, and live a happier lifestyle that involves body and mind wellness! Here are some basic tips to increase your self-esteem, and they’re so easy, you’ll wonder why you waited:
- Stop yourself every time you begin self-bashing! “I’m such an idiot; I just missed that turn!”
- Stop comparing yourself to others: “If I had her legs, I could wear shorts, too . . .”
- Start exercising. The scientific feel-good benefits of exercise are undisputed!
- Start striving for progress, not perfection!
- Stop re-hashing and beating to death every mistake you ever made. You made a mistake. It’s over. Move on.
- Start focusing on the positive changes you can make that don’t depend on anyone else for approval or support!
- Start doing something you enjoy every day!
- Start asking questions about Holmes Place!
We are a one-of-a-kind wellness facility that understands the healthy balance needed between body, mind, and your spiritual self; our trained professionals can customize a program that is uniquely you. Relaxation and self-improvement comes in many forms for many people. Your program may include soothing yoga, spa treatments, and herbal teas, while another option is a dynamic workout that invigorates every muscle in your body!