9 Ways You Can Boost Your Self-Esteem
No one can return to “the scene of the crime” and retract the words, repair bruised feelings, and diminish the pain that resulted from an exchange that was five, ten years ago.
Symptoms of Low Self-Esteem
Frequent fear and anxiety are experienced by people who suffer from low self-esteem. There’s really nothing – absolutely nothing – that feels good about low self-esteem. Other symptoms include:
• These people experience panic attacks when they think they’ve made a bad decision that others will notice. They think needing help is an admission of inadequacy.
• Depression, feelings of devastation – These people are so afraid of making a bad decision they isolate themselves and refrain from new activities. They often remain in a destructive relationship for fear of being alone.
• Hopelessness about the future – They feel there are so many things they can’t do well, especially social skills and relationships that they refuse to try new things.
• Hypersensitivity – They feel that others are laughing at them, criticizing them or will take advantage of them.
• Lack of assertiveness – They are too afraid of upsetting others (and then being rejected) to tell the truth, ask for what their want, or share their feelings.
• Passivity leading to aggression – The need to tell the truth and assert their feelings builds to a point where they become aggressive-defensive, sarcastic, rude, or even violent.
• Obsessive-compulsive, workaholic, perfectionism, over-spending, alcohol, drugs and sex are the feel-goods people with low self-esteem may use. They will stay in a dead-end job rather than venture outside their comfort zone to seek other employment. “People who lack self-confidence are very needy,” says Marilyn Sorensen, Ph.D. “These are self-defeating behaviors that low self-esteem sufferers repeat over and over.”
Boost Your Self-Esteem
It’s never too late to learn how to appreciate yourself, value yourself, and live a happier lifestyle that involves body and mind wellness! Here are some basic tips to increase your self-esteem, and they’re so easy, you’ll wonder why you waited:
- Stop yourself every time you begin self-bashing! “I’m such an idiot; I just missed that turn!”
- Stop comparing yourself to others: “If I had her legs, I could wear shorts, too . . .”
- Start exercising. The scientific feel-good benefits of exercise are undisputed!
- Start striving for progress, not perfection!
- Stop re-hashing and beating to death every mistake you ever made. You made a mistake. It’s over. Move on.
- Start focusing on the positive changes you can make that don’t depend on anyone else for approval or support!
- Start doing something you enjoy every day!
- Start asking questions about Holmes Place! We are a one-of-a-kind wellness facility that understands the healthy balance needed between body, mind, and your spiritual self; our trained professionals can customize a program that is uniquely you. Relaxation and self-improvement comes in many forms for many people. Your program may include soothing yoga, spa treatments, and herbal teas, while another option is a dynamic workout that invigorates every muscle in your body!
Contact Holmes Place today for more information.